Saturday, July 29, 2017

Campin' it // Chaz goes to KAA // 2017

Well, at this camp thing again. I learned a few things this time... and I learned a LOT when it was over. More to come on that.

So the things I learned from last time
-- buy a trunk. I thought this was silly, overrated and only for "those moms" but what the heck, it is an AMAZING change and makes the packing and transport SO much easier.
-- pack clothes in outfits. Last year, I did the roll things together Pinterest style thing. HA! What was I thinking? He was nine. I really expected that to last more than a day. Silly me. Ziplock bags with a days worth of clothing is the way to go. I also packed his sleep shorts in one, swim trunks in another, etc. He was so thankful for the way it was organized.
-- a few little downtime activities/books is fine. Don't over do it. I was "that mom" last year.
-- kids need decals on said trunk. Who knew? Not this mom and not before camp. #fail
--no matter how many times, packing your kid for camp will make you a bit uneasy and give you all the worries... but they will be ok.
He.was.ready!
And it is going to be a great time when you are go with your cousins and BFF, right???
I think they are going to miss each other. But they probably won't admit it anytime soon.
And that was it. I put him on a bus and off he went for a week. No drop off, no helping with his bunk, just peace out and a few momma tears. This one was hard, very hard.

I did get some pictures from a counselor. He, of course, bought a hat within about 3 seconds of being there.
I looked over the website to find any shot of him that I could. Jackson and him are clearly two peas in a pod.
He is the one in the middle of Jackson arms with the open mouth. BAHAHA!!
Sweet boys!
We did get the ok to send a few notes to our boy. I had received word that he was a bit homesick. Which wasn't like him at all. It was good to be able to send him something to make him smile. I was itching to see him the next day!
The counselor also sent me this sweet picture.
This quickly became my screen saver and what I looked at everyday. One at camp, one at home. Hopefully both are having the best time.
He was having a blast being only kid but deep down, I know he missed his bro.
So, after a LOOOOOOONG drive, we arrived to pick up the boy. (He is in the black shirt and hat on the second row)
He sees me!! And is showing me his purchase. HA!
This kid enjoyed playing on the camp grounds. Mercy me, this boy!
And Davis got in the mix. Little bros.
Pure bliss.
A little ballin' before they release brother to us!
And some more with the tallest man on the planet. I mean, not really but compared to little Dane, he may as well be.
Wasting a little time with this cute face.
And then they have a party before we go home. Awards, games, songs and worship. It was a good time!
I think they were both happy to see each other and be home in bed.
Overall, the boy had fun. He learned a lot and made some friends.... but I learned a lot too. Many of the stories on the way home, made me think... hard. Do your research on camps. Not that this was a "bad" camp, it just wasn't the one for him. There were a few situations and issues, I wish he wasn't witness to. Most of which involved behavioral issues from other children. I was disappointed for him as this kind of experience shouldn't have those issues. I felt like a bit of a momma fail on this one. I should have trusted my gut when I heard he was "homesick" I knew this wasn't like him, maybe I should have gone and picked him up?? Maybe not. Maybe he learned from this?? Maybe not. But next year, I will do my research and trust my momma gut. (*Note: none of the issues were caused by him or involved him. I just hate that he had to witness kids behaving badly in this way and at a church camp)

Next year will be better! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment