Tuesday, December 28, 2010

And so this is Christmas......

Next up on the Santa train... Papa! He was tasked with building Chaz's bike. I am sure preparing for Santa is "old hat" to my dad but it still took him a little longer than expected to put the bike together. it has been a day or three since he has had little ones.
but he finally got it together and mom took the gem for a spin. We got to mom and dad's house mid afternoon on Christmas Eve. What a great day of just sitting around and enjoying ourselves. At some point during the day Ryan and Shane found my mom's wedding veil in a box in the closet. I have no idea how they just happened upon it but it seemed fitting as my parents had just celebrated their 44th anniversary a few days before. Aren't they precious??? Chaz has SUCH the imagination. He came up with this....What are we doing you may ask?? Well, we are playing Santa and reindeer. Duh. I also love that almost everyone was involved in the crazy trip. Ryan was Rudolph and Papa and Kyle were in the sleigh with all the presents (aka pillows) and Chaz was Santa.


Then he had to switch things up and add more people to the ride. Gaga was in charge of the reindeer now.


Then we all switched it around. We were having a blast if you can't tell.


My Popsicle and my brother.After the kiddo is in bed we all change in to our matching pjs and put the ornaments from years past on our tree---in my mind these are two of my favorite holiday traditions.
So you may ask why we don't put the ornaments on the tree from the get go? Well, let me just say, some of the ornaments have seen better days. For example, we have one that at one point was a Lifesaver man. He is very cute and has a little Styrofoam head with red hair, red arms and red legs, all made out of yarn. Originally, the body of this cute little guy was made from a roll of lifesavers but now there is no body as it melted in a fire we had years back. You guessed it! His head is attached to his legs. It is odd to say the least. But we keep this little guy because he has memories.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We also have a great one that says "Baby's first Christmas 1989" You are probably saying "Teresa, you never mentioned you had a younger sibling." Well you are correct, I don't. Back in 1989 my brother was 17 years-old. We took a trip to Walmart, as a family, to buy ornaments for that year. Everyone was to pick out their own. My brother was very irritated by this entire situation so he reached to the shelf and grabbed the first ornament within arm's reach. When we got home we opened all the ornaments..... My brothers clearly read "Baby's first Christmas 1989" A+ Shane. A+.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are many others with equally funny stories but I will save them for years to come. I will, however, share the best one with you this year. The beauty below is what we affectionately refer to as "Santa poop." It was made many, many moons ago by my brother. It is suppose to be a Santa but instead it looks like poop. You make the call.
This is us hanging the Santa poop. What a great family moment! HA!
We got to ham it up a bit before we were off to bed for the night.
I think I had a harder time sleeping than Chaz did. I was just so excited to see his face light up on Christmas morning. Around 7:30 we were awoken by a bell outside of our door. Chaz popped right up and said "SANTA IS HERE! SANTA CAME TO GAGA AND PAPA'S!!" He didn't know it was this little elf outside our room with her little bell. He grabbed me and literally pulled me down the hallway..Check out the face of determination.After a quick family hug we were off to see what Santa had left under the tree.
He was good to us to say the least. Chaz was over the moon excited. Before we were even through the kitchen he spotted his new bike "There is a BIKE!!" and then he noticed his race track (really one of the only things he wanted--besides the batcave) "How did you know??" Hmmm, you told us 1,209,383 times.
Watching the genuine joy in my child's eyes was amazing. I can't wait to do it all over again next year!

Within minutes he was on his bike. It didn't take long for him to get the hang of it.
But he didn't want me to take his picture.. hence the marvelous face below.


We did not have a white Christmas however it DID snow. Chaz was so excited, he climbed up on the chair and watched the snowfall. He didn't care about the bazillion presents under the tree, all he wanted to do was watch the snow. He definitely knows what snow is but I don't think he really remembers last year. Hopefully, we will get some of that fluffy white stuff this year!Kyle was not a fan of the cars on the track. He would have been a fan IF he could have caught the car. No such luck.Lisa with her new computer bag.
and opening her stockingMy brother and his coffee. The man needs his coffee.
I finally had to hold Kyle so he wouldn't snip at the race cars. One of the first gifts I bought was a Snow baby for my mom (it is tradition for me to give her one each Christmas) As soon as it made it under our tree it was Chaz's favorite gift. He would carry it around with him from the time he got home from school until the time he went to bed. I would find it in the most random places--his bed, the bathroom, his train table, etc. He simply loved "the little one." He also wouldn't let me put a bow on the gift. I am not sure why but he insisted that it was plain. He had to be the one to put it in our car and place it under the tree at my parent's house. So, when we said "Let's open presents" you can guess which one he ran to...Gaga's little one. He was so excited for her to open it. What is so funny to me is that he had no clue what was in it, he just loved it because it was little.
This is not really a "good" picture but to me it is perfect. It shows the excitement of a three year-old on Christmas day.
and look what was in Ryan's stocking.... Hmmm, I wonder if he will get the hint from Santa.
Then it was really time to open presents (the first time was a false alarm as the boy went crazy after Gaga opened her "little" present) Chaz decided he was going to help Papa hand out presents. He was more excited to give people their presents than to open any himself. That's my boy.Chaz was a little late to the game in opening his stocking. This is something we always do first. We also always have 1 apple, 1 orange and a ton of nuts in the bottom of the stocking. Chaz didn't understand that part at all. It was quite hilarious because he kept saying "We have to give the walnuts back to Papa" If you read the last post you already know we do cards in my family and of course Chaz get's one. His was Toy Story (shocker) and it sings too! He wanted to make sure Gaga heard it loud and clear!!all the sudden he says "It is Toys R Us!!" He was right, it was a Toys R Us gift card! How smart is he??
He got an awesome apron to work in his kitchen or help Daddy with dinner. Check out the bedhead! Love it!!

We tried to get a few pictures of him by the tree.....Obviously, the excitement was gone. I think these two pictures are hysterical. He was so irritated. I turned around and he had removed his shirt. He told me he was hot. I guess that was all he needed to get an extra boost of energy. The faces in the next few pictures are beyond awesome.
Do you remember this?? Check it out here, about half way down. I guess Papa and Gaga were listening. This gift is wonderful. It actually had real metal tools. He can really help Papa and Daddy build something.
and then he got Lincoln Logs. Look at his stomach, he was so excited he sucked in all the air which in turn showed off his six pack!!
I was with my parents when they bought this one and it was really such a random "filler" toy. However, I think it has become the new takealong toy. I am happy about it because we used to lug a giant backpack of toys. But now, just this guy....well, this guy and the 20ish matchbox cars it carries.
I guess he got cool so he put his shirt back on and asked his Daddy to open the Lil' Helper gift. He was so cute when he got all garbbed up in his gear.
And then there was this. It was like an episode of Fear Factor. About month or so ago Ryan opened his big mouth while talking to my dad. Oddly enough they were talking about pickled pigs feet.. I don't know why but they were. Anyways, Ryan said "I've never tried them but if they were in front of me I would." Careful what you say in front of my dad.....

I don't think the picture below need much commentary.




If that wasn't enough for you... I have a video. Forgive my shrills, it was simply disgusting.
After showers and naps the rest of my family came over to exchange gifts. Chaz was still mezmorised by the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food that Gaga and Papa got him. I can't really blame him, I think it is a pretty awesome toy.
Here is a video of him playing with it earlier.. Hence the no shirt and bed head.

It took about 3 seconds for Chaz to put on his Perry the Platypus shirt that the Hamlins got him. He also quickly noticed that the house had been put back together and most of his toys were packed away in the car. He was very upset that his race track was packed up. I reluctantly let him get it out of the car, with the rule that it had to stay in the box. He was fine with my rule and actually walked around and showed everyone the box. "Here is my racetrack from Santa. BUT it has to stay in.the.box!" Yes, sir!
It pains me to even post this picture but I will because I am a little proud of our work. Let me start by saying Kelsey is OBSESSED with the University of Texas. Trust me it makes me ill to just think about it. I have TRIED to switch her to the UofA with zero luck. I will not give up. Anyways, Ryan found a place where you can custom order cut mats.. anything you want! So here is what we came up with. We got "Hook Em Horns." I printed out pictures of UofT things and placed them behind the letters. I have to say it turned out VERY nice.......even if it is Texas. Gag!
Alexis is the girl who loves the arts so when Ryan found a large canvas with a abstract painting of Times Square we knew we had found the perfect gift. She was plesantly surprised.
I found an equally fantastic gift for Meme. You may ask.. "What do you get your 84 year-old grandmother??" Well, I found the perfect gift for her. As you are probably aware we have a love for Kyle and Karlee (the Dachshunds) so what better gift than a Dachshund planter..
Yep, a copper Dachshund planter.. She loved it! (even if Ryan put the feet on backwards at first)

"The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other" ~ Burton Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment