Sunday, December 13, 2009

Wreaths across America 09

Fayetteville National Cemetery 12/12/09
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every holiday season volunteers come out to the national cemeteries and lay wreaths on each and every grave. This has been something Ryan has participated in for a few years now. But this year I decided that Chaz and I needed to do this. Ryan is from a military family and my Papa and cousin were both laid to rest here. Although he doesn't yet understand things like this I want Chaz to be brought up to understand the freedom we have in this country and the people that stand up for our freedom each and every day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There were a few firsts of this year: Walmart donated EVERY wreath for the cemetery (in the past people took donations --which is how we found out about it-- and Walmart would fill in whatever wasn't already donated) , Chaz and I attended, my meme, mom, dad, aunt and Teddy also attended, it was blistering cold, it rained during the ceremony & there was a VERY good turnout (in the past years it has been a lackluster showing) I didn't ever think I would ever udder these words but God Bless you Walmart~ you did a very good thing!! Below is the truck that carried all the wreaths.






Ryan and Chaz putting a wreath down.
My meme putting a wreath down.
Meme and Chaz putting a wreath at my cousin Jim Bob's grave.
Chaz saluting Jim Bob's grave after putting his wreath down.
Meme putting a wreath at Papa's grave.. This brought me to tears.. I miss him dearly..

Unknown soldiers. I had no idea there were so many just in the Fayetteville cemetery.. it is astonishing.
With so many people it took a very short time for all the wreaths to go down. Literally I turned around and this is what saw.. amazing!
If you have never seen this I highly suggest you attend. It is moving, beautiful and makes you very thankful for everything you take for granted every day. I want to send a HUGE thank you to anyone who has ever served in the military --God bless you.. Past Present and Future soldiers. And for those soliders families-- Bless you too.. For you patience, struggles, loss, pain and pride. I am very proud to call this country home and you are the reason we are able to live in freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment