Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears.. Oh my!!

One Sunday morning we decided to take a little trip to our local Gentry Safari. We always have such a good time here. (I swear we went last year with Fletcher but I can't seem to find the post. Oh well.)

It was just us three which was a super special treat. Most of the times we do things in a trio but when it is something bigger we usually add in a kid or 12. So this was a fun little treat, just for the three of us. We got there early. I think there was one, maybe two, other families. I wasn't sure how Chaz would react to the animals. You never really know from year to year but he wasn't scared at all, and he was quite intrigued by the llamas.Next up was the kangaroo. Usually you can walk amongst them but this day the gates were closed so we had to visit them through the fence.
He kept saying "Hey buddy. How are you doing today, buddy?" It was adorable.
See, I told you he wasn't scared. He even touched this very odd (and loud) longhorn cow. We then, of course, had to give the "horns down" sign to the cow. Poor cow. It wasn't his fault that he shares a name with one of the most hated football teams in the Hill household.
They have a wonderful area where the kiddos can pet smaller animals and visit some of the babies. There are handlers there to pick up the animals and monitor the interaction. Chaz wasn't quite sure about the tortoise at first but he quickly warmed up to him and his big brother.
Time for a quick stop on the lion. Always a must.
There was an adorable baby monkey at the zoo. I am not sure how old it was but it was super tiny and wore a diaper. HA!
One of his favorite parts was feeding the baby lamb. He still talks about this lamb. "I liked him. He will be my friend forever." Kids.
I had to take a picture of the porcupine. He kind of weirded me out.
The caption to this one? "Momma, the ducks won't let me pet them" Hmmmmm.
Quick stop on the big gorilla.. If I had a paint can or a sharpie I would have cleaned him up a bit. Poor gorilla is lookin' a little rough these days.
Then it was off to the drive through portion. This is really the best part of the trip. You drive through a bazillion acres (not really..) and there are a TON of animals along the way. Chaz loves this part because we don't make him ride in his car seat (please.. send your letters of abuse elsewhere.. I think I rode in the back window the majority of my childhood)
Um, did I say he loves this part?? I cannot for the life of me remember why the 3 year-old melted but it was so bad that Ryan and I were to the point of turning around. I mean imagine: Stuck out on a "safari" with a screaming 3 year-old and only one way out. Pure torture. Notice the look of glee on my husband's face.
A little Sonic Sprite and the mood turned around. Whew! That was a close one!
I mean really? Is this the biggest camel you have ever seen? For me, yes. And I have seen my share of camels. Oh yes, I have! Ok, so I have only seen the ones they bring to our square for Christmas but still. This guy is HUGE!!Why wouldn't you have a massive amount of longhorn cows in the middle of the Gentry Safari??
Another example of our stellar parenting skills....Not only do we let our child ride through this land outside of the car seat but also we let him hang out the sunroom. (again, send your letters of disgust elsewhere) This kid was on cloud nine! And after the meltdown, this is where he needed to be! We were definitely breaking the rules as there are HUGE signs that clearly state "Keep all windows and sunroofs closed. Do not get out of your car. Do not feed the animals" Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad.....right??
Waving to the animals. "Hi, Campbell!!" Remember he calls his baby cousin Camel (Her name is Campbell) so he quickly decided to call the camels-- Campbell. Make sense.. to a 3 year-old. At least he is consistent.
Our driver.. having the time.of.his.life.
We would make Chaz come in and shut the sunroof when there were big animals....or the mean emus. We told him that he wasn't allowed to shut the sunroof.....Only Daddy could do that. So what does he do? He uses his Daddy's finger as a "closing mechanism" Between that and the extended tongue, I give him two thumbs-up for brilliance!
We sat for a long time and watched the lion. Such a beautiful creature.
And the hippo. Well, you have to sit and wait on him to come out of the water. It is one of the great thrills of the trip. He is toward the end of the trip and you just kind of pull over and wait.....camera in hand, child out the sunroof!Self portrait. I had to get in at least one picture. Sadly, this was the only way to do it.
This is my favorite shot of the day. Chaz would sit on the console and hold our hands. He said he "was safe" if he was holding Mommy and Daddy's hands. Melt.my.heart!!
What a wonderful day! We will be back for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment