Friday, November 5, 2010

I Heart Pumpkins!!!

In true Halloween tradition we decided to get out the pumpkins and carve away! Luckily it was warm enough that we could do it outside. I told Chaz we were going to carve pumpkins and before I knew it he was standing outside shirtless and ready to go. He didn't really understand what was about to happen but he had seen Jack-O-Lanterns on Handy Manny so that counts, right? We purchased 2 PERFECT pumpkins from a patch on our way back home from the cornmaze. I will probably never live this down as they were $10 each... and.... well you can wait for the results.

He wasn't sure what to do with the pumpkin so he decided to kiss it.. Why not??and then I got to gut them. This is seriously something I hate more than brussel sprouts. But it needed to be done and I was the only one on board to do the job. It is so very gross. I love this picture. Now that you can see Chaz, you can understand his reaction to my work. He was mortified. "Why you do that to my pumpkin??" "Ewe! Gross!!" He was not having a moment of the grossness. Remember this is the kid that is constantly washing his hands and tries to stay somewhat clean for a 3 year-old. We quickly passed the pumpkins to the "Master Carver" Ryan. He has done so many wonderful ones in the past I couldn't wait to see how these turned out. Unfortunately, they didn't. The pumpkins were too good. Have you ever heard of such a thing?? They were too thick for the tools to cut through (and Ryan uses a Dremel) So, in order to protect his title I will not be posting the picture of our pumpkins.. it is just too sad. Next year, there is always next year!
While Daddy was carving I decided that Chaz and I would paint pumpkins. I would rather paint anyways so why not get the little man involved. Pay no attention to the old Coors Light bar shirt my child is wearing. He loved painting the pumpkins. He is a perfectionist like his momma. He would hold the pumpkin and turn it from side to side, making sure every inch was covered. Most of the pumpkins turned out some shade of dark green or brown due to the mixing of the colors so we decided to add in silver for some bling. I thought each one was perfect!!


After they were dry we let him take them to the front porch and place them. It was funny to see where he picked. He wanted them in the corners, in a row. There is that OCD boy I know and love!!
What a wonderful, quite ending to a very hard week. The little times like this really make me stop and appreciate what I have. My husband and my son are the best things to ever come into my life. I am so thankful for them. Oh and pumpkins.. I heart pumpkins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment